Home Page

SEND - Local offer

What is the local offer?


The Local Offer is information in one place about what help and support there is in the local area for children and young people with special educational needs or a disability (SEND).


To view the Local offer for Bristol, please click here

Speech & Language:

We have a new speech therapist called Elaine Watson. Elaine is available in the centre for parent drop- ins where you can talk with her about any speech queries you have for your child.


Please see the notice board in reception for Drop in dates at Redcliffe Children's Centre.


At the nursery we can talk to you about any concerns you have about your child’s development, we are able to refer your child for speech therapy.


The Communication Trust have recently produced four films to help parents encourage their children’s communication development. The films are full of useful advice on how parents can encourage their child to talk and interact with them. There are 4 films, divided in age groups, for parents who have children up to the age of 3.


Please see below for the link to the videos for “Through the Eyes of a Child”




Here are some useful websites that are well researched (searching in Google can lead you to less helpful websites)




Educational Psychologist:

We have an educational Psychologist called Mary Stanley-Duke who supports us in thinking about any children who have emotional, behavioural and/or attachment sensitivities. Referrals are made with parental consent and Mary observes the child, talks with the parents and key person to think of ways to support the child.


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Worker:

We have a Child and Adolescent Mental Health Worker (CAMHS) called Jenny Griffiths, her role is to talk with families and key people about any child’s emotional well being which is deemed as requiring support.


Play Therapist:

Debbie Horgan is a play therapist who can work with children one to one in the play environment and talk with parents. This is also useful for children who have emotional and/or behavioural challenges. 



We have two SENCos in the nursery; Louise Robinson (3-4 yr olds) and Lisa Dean (2-3 yr olds)

Our nominated Governor for inclusion is Kat Campian Spall.

You can contact Lisa via Email: Lisa.dean@bristol-schools.uk or Louise: louise.robinson@bristol-schools.uk


Family Groups:

We offer several different family groups, which are held at the Faithspace community Hall, just up the road from the Children's Centre and are available for all children.  Please refer to our families section for the up to date groups timetable

How do we identify if a child needs extra help with their learning?


Before starting nursery:

  • At jointly run health visiting clinics at the community Hall or at other venues in the community (see family services timetable)
  • With family services staff at our community groups at the hall
  • Drop in speech therapy clinics (link below)
  • During a one year or two year old check with a health visitor
  • Make an appointment with your GP


Once your child has started nursery:

  • During initial home visit
  • Settling in period
  • At any opportunity during your child’s time at nursery with your child’s key person or family services link person
  • With the SENCo by asking to talk with Louise or Emma via your child’s key person or Brooke or Shirley on Reception
  • ​Parent consultation meetings three times a year (sharing the written summary about your child’s learning at nursery)
  • Key people will also talk with you about any concerns they may have and share strategies and information with you.  


How do we identify if a child may benefit from extra help with their learning?

We make observations of all children’s learning in their learning diaries with reference to the Early Years Foundation Stage; we like to include your views and experiences from home too. These diaries are available to you at all times. We make ongoing monitoring of children’s progress. Key people write regular summaries about children’s significant developments over the course of each half term; these also have ideas for possible next steps for children- which can be linked to speech or behaviour for example. We might also ask for a speech therapist or other professional linked with the setting to observe your child, with your permission.


What might happen once concerns about your child have been raised?

Every situation is different; some of these processes might apply to your child. Additional help might be short or longer term:

  • Referral (with your permission) to an external professional linked to the centre e.g speech therapist, educational psychologist, play therapist, Early Years Inclusion worker
  • Putting specific strategies in place to support your child/their learning in nursery and at home
  • Identifying specific possible next steps with you, identifying how to help your child make progress in these specific areas, and observing and monitoring progress at home and in nursery
  • If additional health professionals become involved more long term, a Support Plan will be written with you bringing together your views and the views of other professionals. This enables us to plan more comprehensively to meet your child’s needs and helps facilitate the dialogue between yourselves and others involved. Click here to see link to Support Plans
  • The support plan and your permission, allows us to apply for additional funding to support your child at nursery with their learning. The additional funding enables us to access additional adults who might work one to one with your child at certain times during their session. This may also enable specific guidance from other professionals to be put into practice.
  • If we apply for additional funding for your child, the additional funding is in addition to the funding received by our setting for all children, including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. We can apply for more funding if we feel your child’s needs are ‘different from and additional to’ what can be provided with our initial funding.
  • The nursery can become a central place for meetings with your and other professionals, to discuss and plan for progress. You will be invited half termly to share and review your child’s development and progress.
  • If your child has more complex needs you might consider applying for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC). See Below for further information on this.
  • When your child is approaching a transition e.g. to a different part of the nursery, to school or a different nursery setting we will work with you, any professionals involved and the new setting to share information and plan the transition process.


Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans


  • This plan is for children and young people aged 0-25 who need more support than is available through special educational needs support. Through this plan your child’s educational, health and social needs, and the additional support to meet those needs, are identified. 
  • Applying for an EHC Plan starts with requesting an EHC Needs Assessment by Bristol City Council’s SEN Team. The request goes to an EHC Needs Assessment panel who decide whether to issue an EHC Plan or not. You can apply for an EHC Needs Assessment by writing to the SEN Team. A request can also be made by us, a doctor or health visitor.
  • If the Local Authority decides to issue an EHC Plan they will first issue a draft plan for you to consider. At this stage you can name the type of school you want e.g. mainstream or specialist provision, and the individual school you want. Once the content of the plan is agreed then a final plan will be issued.
  • If the Local Authority refuses to issue an EHC Plan they will write to you giving their reasons and informing you of your right to appeal, with details of organisations who can support you through the appeal process e.g. Supportive Parents.
  • Please speak to your Key Person and Senco if you think you might want to apply for an EHC Plan and we will help you with this.


 Please click here for further information on EHC Plans.


Who will be working with my child and what are their roles?

Each child has a Key Worker who oversees your child’s learning/development. We have two Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators (Senco) in the Centre, Lisa Dean and Louise Robinson.

The role of the Senco is:

  • to work with families to ensure that they are closely involved in planning how best to support their child’s development and needs
  • ensuring that parents  views, opinions and experiences with their child are discussed and inform strategies and targets for working with your child
  • liaising with other professionals or agencies
  • advising and supporting Key People in working with and planning for children who have additional needs
  • ensuring all practitioners understand their responsibilities to children with SEN and our approach to identifying and meeting SEN